Simple Catholic Snapshots
- In the movie “The Case for Christ”, Lee Strobel states that Jesus appeared to over 500 people after the Resurrection.
- The Gospel readings at Easter and the readings this week from Acts recount multiple appearances, but don’t seem to add up to anything close to 500.
- Since Paul makes it very clear (and Lee Strobel recognized), that if Christ was not raised, then our Christian faith is in vain (1 Cor 15:17), then it seemed more than prudent to take a closer look.
- Therefore, I investigated and logged the Scriptural accounts of Jesus’ post-Resurrection appearances.
- I did in fact find New Testament accounts in Scripture where Jesus appeared to over 500 people.
- In the post below, I present a quick summary of these appearances, the locations and where the Scriptural references can be found.
- The Case for Christ is pretty strong!
Simple Catholic Truth
Below is the summary of my very quick search into Jesus’ appearances to disciples after His death and resurrection. I don’t claim this to be a 100% perfectly complete list – it’s possible that I missed some or duplicated others. Those details are not critical at this point. What is clear is that Christ did appear to more that just a handful of people. He did in fact appear to more than 500 as evidenced by the inspired word of God.
After Resurrection Sunday (perhaps Monday, the first day of the week):
1) Mary Magdala – at the site of the tomb. (John 20:11-18)
2) Mary Magdala, Joanna, Mary mother of James, and Salome – at the site of the tomb. (Matt 28, Mark 16, Luke 24)
3) Simon-Peter (Luke 24:34, 1 Cor 15:5)
4) Clopas and his travelling companion – On the road to Emmaus. (Luke 24: 13-35)
5) The eleven Apostles (minus Thomas) – Jerusalem. (Luke 24: 36-49, John 20: 19-25)
A Week After Resurrection Sunday:
6) The eleven Apostles (plus Thomas) – Jerusalem. (John 20: 26-29)
The Next Few Weeks After Resurrection Sunday:
7) The seven disciples – The Sea of Tiberius/Galilee. (John 21: 1-23)
8) More than five hundred brothers at once – Probably in Galilee. (1 Cor 15:6)
9) James – Probably in Galilee. (1 Cor 15:7)
The 40th Day:
10) The disciples – Jerusalem and Mt. of Olives. The Ascension (Luke 24:49-53, Acts 1: 3-11)
As I said above, the list is my quick attempt to summarize the appearances of Jesus Christ after His passion and death and resurrection.
The details of specific locations and times and participants will be left to the scholars. However, I hope this humble beginning will provide a bit of reassurance that our Lord has in fact risen.